The hotly anticipated “Doctor Sleep” by Stephen King is the sequel to his immensely popular and famous novel, “The Shining.” The idea has apparently been toying around the horror master’s brain for several years now, but was not confirmed till the audiobook of “The Wind Through the Keyhole’ was released and a prologue to “Doctor Sleep” was included as a bonus. For those interested in a text version of the aforementioned “Doctor Sleep” prologue check out Stephen King and Joe Hill’s joint eBook endeavor, “In The Tall Grass” found on Amazon.com.
“Doctor Sleep” is set to release September of 2013, and until now the cover has been a closely guarded secret amongst the folks at Scribner. However, the cover has finally been released! While you are gandering at the beautiful cover image up top, check out Cemetery Dance Publications special slipcase edition of “Doctor Sleep” by visiting their homepage and ordering now.
Although, “Doctor Sleep” is being published by Scribner, Cemetery Dance Publications has produced custom-made slipcovers for the past several King novels and has decided to included “Doctor Sleep” within this catalogue. These slipcovers add to an already great product by creating a wonderful talking point amongst friends, family, and bibliophiles.
Here is a synopsis of “Doctor Sleep”:
Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.
Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood winter, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”
Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival.
On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.
This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.
- Scribner Reveals the Official Artwork for Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep (dreadcentral.com)
- First Look: Stephen King Releases The Book Cover For ‘Doctor Sleep’, The Sequel To ‘The Shining’ (pinkisthenewblog.com)
- A Look Inside Cemetery Dance’s Special Editions of Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep (dreadcentral.com)
- Cemetery Dance Publishing Special Editions of Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep (dreadcentral.com)
- Stephen King Reveals The Origin of ‘The Shining’ Sequel Doctor Sleep (firewireblog.com)
- Doctor: Sleeping is great for boosting memory (time4sleep.com)
- Sleep Your Way to Better Heart Health (liheart.org)
- Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep Book Cover Revealed (firewireblog.com)
- Pre-ordering Today: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (randomizeme.net)
- Cover and Synopsis for Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep (tor.com)