Directed by Ridley Scott
Science Fiction will always have a special place in my heart, whether it be in literature or in film, I have always found certain gems to latch on to throughout the years. Personally, I find Ridley Scott’s work to be phenomenal, and his classic sci-fi movies are some of the best in the business.
Unfortunately, certain Ridley staples like “Alien” and “Blade Runner” released before my birth, and I was never fully able to appreciate them on the big screen. Luckily for me, Merlyn’s Sci-fi and Fantasy Shop, has decided to host a monthly film night featuring sci-fi movies at the Magic Lantern Theater in downtown Spokane. To start the monthly event off Merlyn’s began with a showing of “Alien.”
I was ecstatic! I haven’t seen “Alien” in years, and it was the perfect opportunity to brush up on the “Alien” franchise, before “Prometheus,” in a fairly intimate setting.
“Alien” was released in 1979 too much critical acclaim. The film follows a mining ship’s return to Earth when suddenly they are awoken out of stasis and diverted to a nearby planetoid at the urging of a distress signal. The film then progresses as the seven-member crew stumbles across a highly antagonistic and aggressive creature merely known as the Alien as they search a long abandoned alien ship.
I won’t go to in depth into the film’s castings and plot within this post, because honestly it is one that should be watched and not read about. And, if it hasn’t been watched after 30+ years then odds are it is not your cup of tea to begin with. That being said, I found Ridley Scott’s art direction and style to be superb, and unlike the films to follow, “Alien” was as much about mystery, intrigue, and the unknown as it was about the horror elements. It had that right genre blend that so few films hit nowadays.
If you get a chance to see one of your favorite films on the big screen nab it up, because sadly art houses and small theaters are dying off and chances are it won’t come back again.
Did you enjoy Ridley Scott’s “Alien”? Have you seen “Prometheus”? What’s your favorite sci-fi film of all-time?
- The Great Debates: Alien vs. Aliens (fogsmoviereviews.com)
- Pondering Ridley Scott’s Prometheus (lockergnome.com)
- PROMETHEUS Blu-ray Details Revealed; 15 Minutes of Deleted or Alternate Scenes Plus So Much More (collider.com)
- Creepy Test Footage from Ridley Scott’s ALIEN (geektyrant.com)
- Ridley Scott’s Prometheus Examines the Roots of Alien ‘s Mythology (scientificamerican.com)
- “The talented Mr Ridley!” Flick Chick’s exclusive interview with sci-fi grandmaster Ridley Scott (blogs.todayonline.com)
- In Space, No One Can Hear You Get An Abortion: A Review of ‘Prometheus’ (thesuperficial.com)
- Prometheus Review (brettsiegelblog.wordpress.com)
- MORE COOL STUFF: Prometheus Posters Unbound (backtothepast.tv)
- Early Buzz: Ridley Scott’s ‘Prometheus’ (Spoiler-Free Video Blog and Reactions From The Web) (slashfilm.com)