The other day I was finally catching up on my blog readings and I came across NDP’s post, “Ten things you may not know about me…” It is a great piece. Oftentimes, writers, bloggers, and artists create these blogs, but as they become more successful and larger than their original roots a new persona is created. Readers begin to lose sight of the blogger and the blogger loses sight of his or her readers.
A simple post titled, “Ten Things You Probably Don’t Know About Me,” brings it back though. It closes the gap between the writer and the reader. I find this to be important. I write for those to read, and I read to engage those that write. I should never expect any less of myself.
Check NDP’s blog, “NDPworld.” It’s a regularly updated and fantastic blog featuring the thoughts and poetics of NDP. He is acutely aware of social and cultural beats and it is shown within his poetry. I always gain a new perspective when reading his work. I urge you to check it out.
Here is my blatant ripoff, “Ten Things You Probably Don’t Know About Me”:
- I’ve worked as a grocer for the past six-years in various departments and positions. A jack-of-all-trades if you will. I enjoy it because it provides health insurance and stories.
- I enjoy longboarding a great deal. One of my closest friends and I are building our own longboards, and are considering starting a ‘Spokane Longboarding Group’ for amateurs. We’re working on several Spokane longboarding guides.
- I am an atheist. I appreciate theological and religious scripture from a historical and literary standpoint, but I have difficulties believing in a God. However, that being said I rarely ever bring it up and it doesn’t bother me to hear of other people’s faith as long as they aren’t trying to indoctrinate me.
- I have an obese ten-year-old Black and Tan Dachshund named Norman. I’ve had him for over five-years now and he is the first dog I’ve ever really owned. He is my best friend, and I don’t know what I would do without him.
- My best friend and I are currently writing a television screenplay called, “Baggage,” that is about the dark humor found when working in a retail industry, the macabre found in higher education without a job, and crazy girlfriends and boyfriends.
- I have an immense love of comic books. I find them to be an ‘American Mythology’ of sorts. I started my writing career writing reviews about comics books and I still trek down to Merlyn’s Sci-fi and Fantasy Shop every week and pick up my haul. Funnily enough, my fiancée also enjoys them a great deal and it is a hobby that we started together when we first started dating.
- I’ve often been described as eccentric. I try to be a student of all. I love all-types of philosophy, literature, film, and games. I can be fairly moody, and I think that this plays into my interests. It has to match my mood, but at the end of the day I will try anything once just to say I have.